Saturday, December 27, 2008

Wavy Gravy and the Ultimate Citrus Juicer

I couldn't let the whole month of December go by without updating my blog even once, so to try to get back into the swing of things I'm posting something I realized about myself...

Yesterday I realized I only like ice cream with chunks of stuff in it. Well, or floating in alcohol sometimes maybe. The thing is...I'm vegan and there isn't much of any vegan ice cream with GOOD BIG chunks of stuff in it. I want like, Chunky Monkey, Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough, the one with the giant chunks of Heath bar in it, Chubby Hubby with its huge chunks of peanut butter filled pretzels.

Not for me though. Vegans do get a selection of different rice, soy and coconut ice creams but at best they maybe have anemic little flecks of chocolate or microscopic and dissolved bits of cookie that you wouldn't know were there if they weren't on the label. I guess I could make some cookie dough or maybe chop up some vegan sandwich cookies and mix them in myself, but for the most part I'm thinking I probably will eat less ice cream. If this prevents me from just grabbing, from the store or my home freezer, and downing a whole pint of Wavy Gravy in the future (actually, they don't make Wavy Gravy any more...which is nice of them because it makes becoming vegan sooooo much easier) then it's probably a good thing.

Of course they still make tasty vegan ice cream sandwiches, like mocha ice cream between two oatmeal cookies that has all been dipped in chocolate, or the classic Tofuti Cutie. Yum. So I guess it shouldn't be too hard to be vegan and still eat junk.

In other news, I make myself some fresh citrus juice almost every morning. Lately it's pretty much always been grapefruit, but I do use fresh orange juice when making a post-workout smoothie for my bf and I after the gym. Why am I telling you this? Because my juicer, my second cheapie $20 juicer in six months, has really been limping along and annoying me with its design flaws but for x-mas, I got the Breville 800CPXL Die-Cast Stainless-Steel Motorized Citrus Press. That thing is like, the Cadillac of citrus juicers. It's supposed to be so efficient at extracting the juice that you end up with a totally cleaned out peel that is all prepped and ready to use as a bowl for some frozen fruit sorbet. I'm not going to do THAT today, but I AM going to try my new juicer (wooohooooo!) today and then I'll be sure to report back.

0 comments: