Tuesday, August 7, 2007

No IMVU dev con?

I found out today that there are no plans for an IMVU dev con at this time. Last year the dev con was the day before my birthday or on my birthday or something like that and they had a cake for me as I was rushing out the door for a quick (24 hour) trip to Minnesota, which was sweet of the IMVU peeps but somewhat lame of me.

At first I was thinking "it's not that big a deal that there isn't a dev con", the biggest implication is that people who paid for a VIP membership were paying $10 a month for something that included the benefit "free admission to all dev cons", but that's a rather stupid benefit anyway, since some people will have been paying monthly for quite a while and others might sign up for just one month in order to gain a discount on their admittance, so hopefully it wasn't a big selling point for anyone.

Then I thought about it a little more. Now I'm actually a bit sad about it. Last year I got to meet some devs who I knew online and by pseudonym only (eXium, Cass, Twiddler, Whystler, I think BoogiePanda and more I can't remember) and it would have been very cool to meet even more devs this year...IMVU has grown a lot in the last year and it would have been quite something. Oh, more employees, too! Last year I even met someone from the Board of Investors, which is a bit like meeting a unicorn.

Perhaps it's just as well, I might get the cold shoulder from some people who seem to be under the impression that I did something wrong (and I didn't) and they might give me the cold shoulder or whatever, plus the other thing that often happens to devs is they get quite isolated after a while, spending more time developing and less time socializing until they don't know anyone...or as I find lately, I get more and more about the business end of things.

Lately I've really been pining for doing some more dev work, though, so if I can get my dual boot thing going on the computer I STUPIDLY chose Windows Vista as the operating system for, perhaps I can actually submit some new content.

Anyway, I guess it's possible they'll do a dev con before the end of the year...someday I'll have to actually talk to somebody like Matt or Marcus again and see what up wit dat.

0 comments: