Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Northern California Gardening

I have often thought that every vegetable garden should have a small table and two chairs where the gardener could sit with a friend at dusk. Between them they would share a bottle of wine, a loaf of crusty bread, a crumbly cheese such as feta or goat cheese, and whatever they could reach out and pluck. Imagine the soft, crimson red tomatoes still warmed by the sun. Juicy. Sweet. Conversation would seem superfluous...
A quote from "Northern California Gardening" by Katherine Grace Endicott.

When I first moved to California, I didn't even know I was in "Northern" California. Well hey, it's pretty much the exact middle of the state! I guess it's more about climate and outlook than geography, though. I've gotten a selection of different gardening books for our new gardening adventure, and this one is particularly helpful since it is so location specific. I'm very excited about gardening! You know, here in this area you can even grow "winter vegetables" all winter long? Theoretically anyway.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow! That quote sounds like words taken out of our mouths. I can’t wait to experience our garden and everything that comes along with it.

Rick

Jinx.tv said...

Oh hey, I totally missed your comment until now. :)