Friday, April 18, 2008

The China Study

I've been listening to a lot of podcasts from Compassionate Cooks lately, and I must say that it's really made me stare my own vegetarianism in the face. I've been a vegetarian for about 20 years, and the main reason is because I don't want animals to suffer because of me and I don't want to eat them. Still, I buy leather shoes, I eat eggs and dairy (and you know by eating dairy products you are supporting the veal industry, right?) and I haven't given much thought for quite a while to the fact that worcestershire sauce and ceasar dressing contain anchovies and have just in general been very lax in paying attention to whether what I am doing is causing animal suffering or not.

The truth is, it's pretty hard to be vegan. It's an inconvenience to those around you in this meat-obsessed culture we live in, people tend to regard you with suspicion or perhaps fear you're going to judge them or maybe that you belong to some weird cult or something. Also, while it's somewhat challenging to find something to eat at some restaurants as a vegetarian, it's ever-so-much-more challenging as a vegan.

My boyfriend has known from the time he met me that I was vegetarian, and he's always been very supportive about it. We go to restaurants and I order something vegetarian and he...sometimes orders vegetarian as well, but he sometimes orders the lamb or the duck or some seafood. He made me feel so comfortable that, along with a little reading of Michael Pollan his proposal to fly a friend of his in from Texas to cook us some barbeque (made from whatever meat I liked, raised in any way that appealed to me...grass-fed, humanely slaughtered, organic, etc) if I would actually eat some of it sounded appealing to me for a while and I was incredibly close to saying "yes, let's do it."

Or at least I was incredibly close except for these podcasts I had somewhat randomly subscribed to on iTunes. Once I subscribed, I ended up with quite a few of them on my iPod and when I'd set it to shuffle it seems like they came up a rather disproportionate amount of the time in relation to the amount of content actually on this device.

Colleen from Compassionate Cooks talks about every reason under the sun to become vegan. Really, she has a reason for everyone, ranging from compassion (of course) to world hunger to health. She also teaches cooking classes right in the Bay Area, and has a vegan baking book and a vegan cooking dvd. The first time I said the word "vegan" to my bf, he visibly flinched, but he has enjoyed other cooking classes we have taken so much that when I mentioned these classes he said "I'd love to!" I also got him a copy of her baking book and he said he'd love to make us some of the recipes.

Still, for all his enthusiasm for baking, whether vegan or not, my bf seemed terrified that I might stop eating cheese.

Noooooo...not...cheeeeese!!!!!!

When he found out that I was eating vegan when I was cooking for myself at home, and realized that everything I had been making for him to take to work for his lunch was vegan as well, he was rather unsettled, but somewhat reassured that I WAS still eating cheese and butter and eggs in other situations. However, when I refused to order anything with dairy or eggs in a local restaurant and then burst out crying when he said he was going to be barbecuing not just beef but also pig and lamb at his daughter's birthday party, it looked like we might be headed for a major conflict.

Now, I don't know what was going through his head at that time, but I do know what was going through mine. I was wondering if there was some way to convince my bf that a vegan diet was a GOOD thing. I knew he wasn't going to switch the way he ate because some animals were suffering. He might be persuaded to seek out more humane sources, and he might be persuaded to eat less meat, but compassion wasn't going to be enough. Now, health on the other hand...I knew he cared about health. I knew he worried about one day getting heart disease or kidney disease and I knew (know) that he cares a lot about his health and that of his loved ones. I took a stab at throwing some facts his way...like, today's factory farmed chickens contain more fat than they do protein, stuff like that. It was too random, though.


professor T. Colin Campbell (author of "The China Study") discusses his decades of NIH-funded research which show that meat and dairy promote cancer growth and a plant-based (vegan) diet can prevent and even reverse cancer.

Finally, I found my perfect weapon. The China Study. This book explains in a clear and very detailed and carefully researched way exactly why you should remove animal protein and fat from your diet. How animal fat and protein CAUSE cancer, heart disease, diabetes and a lot of other diseases known to afflict mostly those in affluent nations. It's a scary book and a very eye opening book, and it's very persuasive, too. After relaying the facts presented in the book to my boyfriend, miracle of miracles he has gone from flinching at the very word "vegan" to agreeing to try and become a vegan! Really I don't know how anyone could read the facts presented in this book and NOT become vegan. I wish they would...if more people were vegan not only would national health care costs go way down but it would make it a lot easier to find a great restaurant to eat delicious vegan food at.

Of course after agreeing to become vegan and then telling some of his customers and business associates about it, he went out to dinner with them and had a steak.

Baby steps...

7 comments:

Spydyr said...

Let me start by saying I enjoy meat. I also love animals and try to be aware about what I am eating. I also enjoy vegetarian food and wish it was easier to find good vegetarian food at restaurants. There are very few choices for vegans as far as "fast food" type things go and I think that'd be a major issue for many people even considering a vegetarian lifestyle. It's not readily available and convenient, you have to take time and cook things, you can't just open a box and throw it in the microwave (microwaving being not the healthiest thing for you, either).

I'm the last person anyone should take relationship advice from (ask me about my romance track record) but I'd advise finding some sort of compromise with your BF about meat, veganism and cheese. It's obvious from where I sit that he's at least willing to try changing his lifestyle, if even a bit... but consider that you've had 20 years of practice eating vegie/vegan and he's a novice. I'm more than willing to eat good vegetarian food, but after a while, I get to craving meat.

People (Americans especially) eat a lot of crap. Eating vegetarian/ vegan and maintaining your health (making sure you have adequate protein, for instance) is something you have to be educated about and people can't be bothered to do something simple like read labels on food to find lower fat/lower sodium products let alone cut out all animal products.

All of that being said, in the interest of my OWN health, I'll take a baby step and designate one day a week as a vegan day for myself... but I'm going to ask for your help in finding some recipes so I can be vegan, not starving! I know it probably seems like a really tiny thing, but huge lifestyle changes have a way of not sticking as well as small changes (at least for me).

You'll have to tell me more about vegan baking, too... it sounds like it could be fun!

Jinx.tv said...

okay, there is a lot I could say in response to that comment but I think for now I'll just say...no you DON'T need to "make sure you get enough protein"!!! That is a myth! Please watch the video attached to the original post if you have time and consider getting "The China Study". I just received the audio book and can rip it to mp3 for you, just let me know but...the whole getting enough protein thing is a myth, as long as you consume enough calories you will have enough protein. Well, okay...maybe not if it's all in the form of Mountain Dew, but you know...from even a semi-healthy diet.

Anyway...I ordered you a few (my new favorite) AWESOME vegan books and if you like I can make recipes that I put up on Google Documents available to you as I put them up. Not even sure if anything vegan is up there yet...the main current recipe up there is our vegetarian chicago deep dish pizza and it has like, a pound of cheese on it! If I could find a way to make that with no cheese, life would be sweet! We went out to eat tonight and it was not fun...I think my bf forgot he said he would try being vegan and he remembers it as saying vegetarian. He was a little upset when I asked for stuff without the parmesan or mozzarella or pecorino.

MsDarkstar said...

Just so ya know, I wasn't tryin' to piss you off with my comments, I think you're right about vegetarian/ vegan eating being more healthful and I think it would be a GOOD thing to have more options at restaurants for people who would like to eat vegetarian/vegan.

I'm willing to be educated, I'm willing to take the time and put more thought into what I eat. I'll look at the recipes...(hmmm, I'm suddenly very hungry...)

Jinx.tv said...

Oops, I didn't mean to sound pissed off! I was just sayin' everyone is like "how do vegetarians get enough protein?" and "you need to eat beef to get enough iron" and stuff like that and it's...well, it's all just sooooo not true.

MsDarkstar said...

I know several perfectly healthy (at least to my knowledge) vegetarians... and know that you can get along just fine without meat...you just have to make sure you are eating good stuff (and can't you get iron from stuff like spinach?)

There are whole cultures that eat no/very little meat.

One of my mom's best friends who lives in MPLS is a vegan and while she has always struck me as waaaay too thin, she's in her 70's with no major health issues and she even makes vegetarian food for her critters. (I don't think the critter food is vegan, though).

Jinx.tv said...

Whole wheat and corn are very good sources of iron. Most high fiber foods are, and fiber helps your body to utilize the iron and raises your hemoglobin levels.

I think for every ultra skinny vegan you can find one that is a few pounds overweight. Although, you can eat more calories of plant foods while still weighing the same or even less...your body is just more likely to turn it into energy (even making you feel more energetic!)

That would be cool to make vegetarian food for my cats. I mean, I should...

Unknown said...

It’s hard to be unconscious about the inhumane way we manage the meat industry in our country and also about the health benefits of being a vegetarian. It seems obvious to make the choice of becoming vegetarian in order to, not support the inhumane treatment/slaughter of animals and at the same time, maintain a healthier diet. Unfortunately, the reality of things is that, the majority of people in this country, including myself, grew up following a diet that includes meat and everything else (not so healthy) that is so readily available and so conveniently found in stores and in restaurants everywhere; that, on top of being misinformed throughout your life, about the benefits of eating meat and dairy products; from your own family, to your own doctors.
It is not easy to manage your diet in a society that pays little or no attention to all the things that you mention and where the wrong food choices are what we find convenient.
I have always tried to stay healthy, and tried to find ways to follow a good diet, but it is not easy, to say the least, to get rid of certain eating habits, good or bad, from one day to the next. I am willing to make an effort in trying to eat healthier (I’ve always have) and be supportive of your good intentions and compassion. But I also have to be realistic and understand that it would be impossible to immediately stop living the way I’ve lived until this day; eating the type of foods that I’ve been able to conveniently find and lived on, as well as the ones that I’ve enjoyed.
Like you said… baby steps.
Although, it makes it easier to change, when you substitute meat or any other food, with great tasting vegetarian dishes! I can’t wait to try more good food!!!!!!