Saturday, February 7, 2009

Jinx: Unplugged

Yesterday i started getting ready for our trip to Los Angeles. On the one hand, it shouldn't be a big deal because it's only one night so how badly can one screw up packing for that or how long could it take? On the other hand, I have on MANY OCCASIONS been up until 3am doing laundry so I have something to wear for a trip and I thought I would do something different this time. Plus today I spent pretty much the whole day at the salon which is like ya I know...boo hoo don't you feel sorry for me but srsly it is EXHAUSTING being poked and prodded and styled and having a bunch of little hairs ripped out of your body for over half an hour and having one's scalp and limbs and stuff massaged for hours...

Then we went to Millenium for dinner and I almost got trampled/smooshed on the way because I had to fight my way through the chinese new year parade crowd to get there and some crazy guy started talking to me and about the time he started trying to walk arm-in-arm with me I ducked into the Lush store and that got rid of him but OMG that was a disaster waiting to happen because I was about to kick his ass and I could probably get in trouble for that because if I have him down on the ground and I'm punching him or something they might not exactly believe that HE was the one bothering ME...

But anyway, back to yesterday...I did a bunch of laundry to avert the 3am half-dozing-off-between-trudging-up-and-down-to-the-laundry-room thing, and I also tried to fix my iPhone. It's been half broken since I spilled some grapefruit juice on it, and I thought if I could just open it up and clean it with some alcohol and a q-tip that maybe it would work properly again and I could actually use it when it is unplugged from my computer, so after ruining two case opening tools and a couple of razor blades I finally managed to get it open and broken all the way instead of halfway and hey...did you know that the battery inside the iPhone is actually squishy? Isn't that weird?

Also, although there are many tutorials, pictoral and video in nature, on the web that describe how to take your iPhone apart, none really seem to tell you how to put it back together. I don't know if they think it just seems obvious OR if they're just like "haha dummy...we tricked you into taking your phone apart and voiding the warranty, but hey...check out the squishy battery!" Also, even though EVERY OTHER part of the phone came apart in a billion pieces, the part that got grapefruit juice in it is still inexplicably sealed shut and NOT included in any disassembly instructions. Apparently people DO need to replace the battery or maybe the LCD but they NEVER EVER get grapefruit juice in the bottom part where the power/usb cord attaches.

After breaking my iPhone the rest of the way, I thought maybe I could use my XO laptop to connect to the Internet when I'm away from home. Cuz I don't care about actually talking on the phone, I just want my Net connection, damnit! It wouldn't connect to my network, though, and I ran out of time to say, go to Starbucks and see if it would connect to their network or to try and steal some bandwidth from a neighbor or to maybe read on the web how to install another operating system version since I think I heard something about how you should do that if like me you are an XO owner but not a child in a 3rd world country. Or maybe I don't know what I'm talking about.

So today I left my apartment feeling rather lost...I never realized how much I do on my iPhone, from checking the weather for 20 different cities every morning to texint my bf every time I'm bored (which apparently is quite often) to using iTunes Apps, to of course monitoring my sales transactions. Basically, everything but make phonecalls. Phone calls are like, sooooo last century!

I did happen to grab my Amazon Kindle on the way out, though. Last night I insisted to my bf that I would only be able to use it to read books while I was in San Francisco and that OF COURSE I wouldn't be able to surf the web with it without a wifi network connection but...guess what??? I was W-R-O-N-G. Unfortunately the browser on the Kindle is totally primitive and I can't seem to log in to PayPal or to my own websites, but it is good enough to run Gmail so I was a little bit connected after all.

Tomorrow and Monday I'm going to be trying to use my bf's phone as my web browser replacement, so that should be interesting. He does have one of the latest and greatest PDA type phones, so it should work okay I just get frustrated trying to navigate with it after using the iPhone interace for a year and a half. Now I'm going to go pack and make a list of vegan restaurants, otherwise I'll be up until 3am. Again.

0 comments: