Wednesday, February 18, 2009

A tale of two wheatgrass shots

Sunday my bf and I made dinner for his family and I was very excited in the end because we made a pineapple-cucumber gazpacho and a warm tomato and corn salad with macadamia feta, both of which were raw, and we served those first and THEN left everyone at the table while we prepared them some cooked food. We made quinoa for the first time and tried making some dehydrated "chiken" soy patties as chicken fried steak and we served that with a mole sauce which was actually another raw recipe but rather tasty...it didn't really go with "chiken" fried steak, we should have had a mushroom gravy or even just a plain white gravy. Too bad because with a few tweaks I know my bf can totally perfect this raw mole and make it completely awesome, but instead he'll probably end up making a cooked one next time.

Anyway, I was excited because everyone liked the raw food so much! The only reason we made the other food was we were afraid people wouldn't like the raw stuff and might leave the table hungry, but really we could have served the soup and salad and then just ended it with the german chocolate cupcakes we had left over from valentines day.

Next week I think we're making gnocchi and a few types of sorbet. I hope it works out. I know sometimes we make plans to do stuff and then end up doing something totally different.

That's not true with Las Vegas (this time) though! Woohoo...my bf got the Ka tickets, the plane tickets and even booked our room at THEHotel because he knew that was where I wanted to stay (I'm such a spoiled brat sometimes) so we are FOR SURE GOING in a couple of weeks. It's so exciting!

I even found a good use for my Kindle and downloaded one of the latest Las Vegas travel guides onto it. Of course then when my bf wanted to see it while we were out to brunch on Sunday it wouldn't turn on properly. It didn't turn on until I opened it up and manually rebooted it. My bf said I must have shown it what I did to my iPhone and let the Kindle know it could expect the same fate if it didn't cooperate.

So about that wheatgrass...

My bf and I have been talking about doing wheatgrass shots at Jamba Juice for a while now...we even tried to get them one time but they were out of grass. Monday we weren't working out at the gym together, so on a whim I decided I'd go wander around in the rainy weather we've been having and see if I could find a shot of wheatgrass at Jamba Juice all by myself.

I thought I was going to be disappointed when I got to Jamba Juice becaause the wheatgrass tray was empty, but they managed to rustle up a whole fresh new tray from the back, and they served me a carrot-orange juice and my tiny shot of wheatgrass with an orange wedge on the side and I was nervous because when we were in LA we went to a Jamba Juice clone and there were two women at the pick-up counter trying to down some wheatgrass and it took so long and so much grimacing was involved I thought it must be really, completely nasty.

I stood there feeling sort of foolish...wishing my bf was there to look foolish with me and wondering if anyone was staring at me and I steeled myself, downed my shot of wheatgrass and bit into the orange wedge. And you know what? It was really not that bad. It just tasted like grass. And afterwards, I felt really energized.

Not to be outdone, my bf went to Jamba Juice to get some juice and oatmeal this morning and he got a shot of wheatgrass for the first time, too. His reaction? "I liked it! I like the taste!" Wow, he likes the taste? Maybe he and my cat Rodney can start a "wheatgrass tastes great" fan club or something.

Now we want to do wheatgrass shots all the time.

0 comments: