Monday, February 23, 2009

Sunday Feasting

It seems Saturday my bf and I were both perusing our latest issue of our independent Vegetarian Times subscriptions and both felt drawn to some rather tasty sounding recipes, so today (Sunday) we prepared some stuff straight out of the mag...

Sunday Evening Menu

Root Vegetable Stew with Spices and Dried Fruit

Banana and Black Bean Empanadas

Ginger-Chocolate Stout Cake with Sweetened Sour-Cream

We had the usual suspects there for dinner, and Root Vegetable Stew ended up the clear winner. It was slightly spicy but also sweet, with nice chunks of turnips and sweet potatoes and a nice garnish of cilantro. We'd definitely make it again.

The empanadas...I dunno, to me they were too spicy and I didn't really think banana added anything to them. Maybe they should have had some kind of savory green banana instead of your standard cavendish banana, or maybe something totally different like seitan-stroganoff-in-an-empanada-crust or anything with a nice rich savory sauce. The crust was not my fave, either. I liked it but I'm just itching to try to make empanadas again just to try and make it more pie-crust-like, because I make a fabulous pie crust.

Cake...hard to mess up cake but I blame the recipe. It says to use 1 cup of maple syrup OR one cup of molasses. We used molasses because it's not often we come across a recipe that calls for it, but I have a feeling those two just don't substitute well for each other. It was just wrong and it ruined the cake. Also, my bf especially disliked the Sweetened Sour Cream, which is basically just (vegan) sour cream and brown sugar stirred together.

Oh but EARLIER in the day we had the most delicious breakfast of tortillas with refried beans, cilantro, tomatoes and avocado. We've made this over and over and I think it gets a little more perfect every time. We've stopped using Soyrizo in the beans and just mash them up with coconut oil and they are soooo good and simple yet slightly coconutty that way. Yum!

Somewhere in the middle we had wheatgrass shots. We are going to try and drink them every day now. It's expensive, though, so we're going to try and grow our own. Actually, I've grown large trays of it for my cats before and it's very easy. It grows fast and dies young without a foot of good soil underneath to keep it going, so you just have to get it off to a great start and keep it alive for maybe two weeks max. It doesn't even need that much light.

I think I'm going to go to bed and dream about those delicious coconut refried beans!

0 comments: