Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Oakland A's flipped

Yesterday was my first ever Oakland A's game. It was freezing and I didn't feel like moving around and holding my arm up in the air away from the warmth of my body, but I made myself take some video with my new Flip video camera anyway. I've never uploaded anything to YouTube either, but I thought I'd give that a try this morning. Here is my video of some Oakland A's dude getting a run. Right afterwards there was a homerun and the A's scored a couple MORE points, but of course I didn't get that on film. FYI the final score was 1 - 6.


I also got a nifty zip-up sweatshirt thingy with the A's logo on it. (Thank you Mr Besitos Man!) It's pretty nice even though it isn't very warm. At least now I have something to wear to a Giants game.

The Flip Video Camcorder is a neato device that makes shooting video and uploading it to the web extremely easy at a very reasonable price.

I decided to get a Flip because it got really good reviews, and it is pretty convenient. It runs on two AA batteries, and it's called the Flip because it has a USB connector that flips out from the side to plug into any USB computer port. That's when something cool happens...there is a simple video viewing/editing program built right into the camera that you will be asked if you want to use when you are plugging the device in. There is nothing to install on the computer you are using, and yet you can have something uploaded to YouTube from ANY computer with a USB port (hmmm...maybe the library???) without installing anything.

The Flip is so easy to use that you don't even need the short little instruction pamphlet that comes with it. If I could change a few things about it, I would put a tripod mount on the bottom, add a zoom lens, and take out the proprietary port on the top which allows you to take your camera in to an authorized store and have them burn your video straight to DVD and instead put in space for a memory card. The camera holds 60 minutes of video (there is also a 30 minute version), which is probably more than enough for uploading to the web (esp since YouTube limits videos to ten minutes) but it would be nice to have some extra storage just in case. Still, it's definitely worth the price if you just want to shoot and upload some video to the web quickly. It would be really fun to pass around at family gatherings.

0 comments: