Thursday, June 28, 2007

Things that suck

Who sucks is obviously tainted by who is most popular. But...it does seem to demonstrate that the more popular and high profile you are, the higher the number of people who will think you suck.

This morning, let me tell you who sucks...

1. PayPal sucks.
When selling ThereBucks, I am rather partial to larger transactions. If someone overseas buys $10 of ThereBucks from me, I end up paying 6.2% in transaction fees to PayPal, which leaves me with almost no profit from buying the ThereBucks from another developer. That's why now that I sell on my own, I don't allow purchases of less than $20. I actually have a lot of customers that will buy $100 or $200 worth of ThereBucks at a time if I have that much in stock, and that's great EXCEPT that sometimes on foreign orders (and I can't really figure out which ones this is) PayPal ends up charging me something that works out to be like, 5% in fees even on a $200 order. That so sucks, especially when you realize that PayPal charges the same whether you are receiving money directly from someone else's PayPal account (which costs PayPal nothing) or from a credit card (in which case PayPal pays a small fee to the credit card company and faces risk of chargebacks and such.) They already make up their own exchange rates when going cross-border, why do they have to stick more outrageous fees in there? They don't really explain the fees, either. I was trying to research this, and it looks like maybe PayPal charges the highest rate when someone is buying from you from another country, paying you in the U.S. and doing it with U.S. funds instead of their local currency. WTF? That doesn't make any sense to me.

2. Some guy in Palo Alto sucks.
When I ordered my new computer, I chose to have them install Windows Vista so I could play with the shiny new interface. While waiting for the computer to arrive I became worried because I've heard of problems getting certain programs to work with Vista. So, I decided I should create a dual boot system and I bought a new copy of Windows XP from some guy on eBay. I chose this guy to buy from partly because he's in Palo Alto so if he ships something out it only has to go about six miles and I should receive it the next day. Well, the dude waited three days to ship it! I might as well have ordered it from someplace on the east coast!
Some guy in Palo Alto vs. Windows Vista

3. DHL sucks.
I have had some problems with DHL in the past, like the time when the delivery driver said my address didn't exist (um, buddy...I think UPS, USPS and FedEx would all disagree with you there...) so I'm always a bit leery when getting a delivery via DHL as opposed to another service, but the regular DHL delivery guy knows me now and I hadn't had any problems for a while. But THIS week...argh! Monday they didn't deliver a package because my address was incomplete (they shouldn't have accepted the package with an address like that, IMO) but at least I got it Tuesday. Then Wednesday my new computer was scheduled to be delivered so I waited ALL DAY for them to deliver without even taking a shower or running any errands because I didn't want to miss them and they ended up not delivering it because they said I wasn't home! So, Thursday the same thing happened again. The thing is, not only have I been sitting around waiting for them ALL DANGED DAY, but the front door buzzer is hooked up to my cell phone, so I could be anywhere I get cell phone service and if they ring my front door I would at least know about it...and they haven't! So why do they keep saying I'm not home?

Wednesday I didn't even get a delivery notice on the door, then Thursday the mail was delivered very late and when I checked my mailbox I found the DHL delivery attempt notice IN MY LOCKED MAILBOX! So my theory is that the postal carrier and the DHL deliver guy decided "screw making deliveries, let's go to the bar and have some brewskies!". Then after tying a few on, the postal carrier remembered his creed:

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds

And the postal carrier, feeling guilty and tipsy, went off to finish delivering his mail, albeit a little late, but the DHL guy, not wanting to drink and drive, asked the postal carrier if he could just distribute some attempted delivery notices for him while he was out there. The DHL guy probably intended that the postal carrier put them on the doors, but being a bit tipsy as well, the mail carrier just put them in the boxes out of habit.

That's how *I* think it went down anyway. Now today I am supposed to get my delivery between 2 and 3 pm, and I'm waiting around before then as well just in case, although my backup plan is that my bf take me to the DHL offices to pick up the package directly (a bit tricky, because there is only a 30 minute window in which to do this). Next time I order something IMPORTANT like this online, I am damn well going to make sure the person I'm ordering from does NOT use DHL!!!!!

0 comments: