Sunday, February 3, 2008

Curses, foiled again!

Well, my mom emailed me after yesterday's blog entry to mention that this is a leap year and so there are actually 29 days in February. That's good, I guess, because that will give me one more day in which to earn the money to pay the $100 my rent is going up starting in March.

You know, that really annoys me...this whole raising of the rent thing. Is my apartment somehow better than it was before? No. The building as a whole? No...in fact it's getting worse. My building has 100 one-bedroom units and when I moved in three years ago (and no, this isn't my first rent increase in three years) most apartments had just one person living in them. Since then, many more apartments have a couple or several people living in them...sometimes whole families. There is one very small child that runs up and down the hallway on my floor SCREAMING numerous times a day. In one way, I admire her because she seems to be screaming with complete abandon and joy, and I kind of want to be that little girl yelling for the sheer pleasure of it as she sprints to her apartment or the elevator. On the other hand, it is freaking loud and annoying, and who let's their child do that in the hallway with NO REGARD for the other residents??? I just don't get it. Also, because so many more people now live in the building and most adults own at least one car, there is now a parking shortage and I have had a bunch of problems with people parking in my space. Oh well, if they want to get towed I'm happy to oblige them.

Also of note: the new building manager took down all the framed artwork hanging in the hallways when replacing the hallway carpet and never put it back up. She also had the stairway carpeting ripped up and just never replaced it...had the stairs painted instead but they look horrible. Also, I think many people are too cheap to pay a $50 deposit to get more than one front door key, so the doors are propped open ALL THE TIME. Other people are always trying to sneak in behind you when you go in the door. Seriously, my building sucks now.

And while I'm sounding all cranky, I must admit I have another reason to actually want an extra day in February and I'll tell you why...

Normally, whatever day Christmas Eve and Christmas day fall on, which happen to be the same days of the week that New years Eve and New Years Day fall on a week later, will happen a day later the next year. So for instance, this past holiday Christmas and New Years fell on a Tuesday, so most of the time the next one would be on a Wednesday, which in my opinion sucks because it totally messes up the week. Once you start sticking those holidays in the middle of the week, people start taking the entire week of Christmas and the entire week of New Years off. Which is just wayyyyy too much disruptive "holiday season" for me. Plus, it just means more work later. Sorry I sound like a scrooge but I really just don't enjoy the holidays on so many different levels, and it's not like I have some nine to five job that gives me a bunch of time off around then, I just take time off whenever I want...or don't take time off, more like I do at least some work every day even if I'm away for the weekend or...well, I wouldn't be away for the WHOLE weekend because I have a cat that needs medication every day. Yeah so, holidays shmolidays, bah humbug, they're just irritating.

Speaking of irritating, my bf's schedule says he will fly home this afternoon and then try to rush home to catch the Super Bowl, or at least part of it, and then finally Monday evening we are supposed to go to the gym together. So last night I was feeling pretty sorry for myself. He was in Guadalahara all day Saturday in meetings and then he didn't even call me in the evening like he always does. Since he's been out of the country, only ONE text from him had come through and he wasn't really calling in the afternoons as per usual, only in the evening...then by the time 11 pm came and went and midnight as well, I realized I wasn't going to get ANY call from him. Probably out to a really late dinner for his last night and forgot all about me!

Then, at 1am, I received a text from him asking if I was still awake. What the heck? I thought of picking up the phone and calling him immediately, but I didn't know if the text had just been sent or finally came through from a few days ago, since I know he sent a few that I never received. If he didn't just send it and it's 1am here, I think that makes it 3am in Guadalahara. I don't think he'd like a 3am phonecall! So I just text him back that I am awake. A minute later, my phone rings. It turns out the reason that he didn't call me like he usually does is he was on a flight home. He skipped dinner with his business colleagues and came home early and according to him he couldn't care less about the Super Bowl and we're having brunch in just over an hour so ah...I should get off my butt and take a shower or something right now!

Geez, here I am trying to be mad at him for being away and not even calling me and wanting to go home and watch the Super Bowl on Sunday INSTEAD of seeing me and what does he do? He shows up back in the country early, missing me like crazy. Curses, foiled again!

0 comments: