Thursday, January 15, 2009

Energy Day 14 & 15:

I'm awake! I'm awake!

Yeesh. Somehow my plan to get up earlier every day has completely gone awry and I'm actually getting up later. This is too bad because the weather has been unseasonably warm and mostly sunny. I was thinking I should start going into San Francisco for those stairway walks this week, but I'm actually thinking the weather is a bit warm for that. So maybe I'll plan on starting next week, and meanwhile I'll try to plan exactly what I should wear and bring to spend hours walking around San Francisco (and going up and down hills and stairs ON PURPOSE) because it would suck to get there and then I wore the wrong shoes or some pants that keep falling down or I didn't really wear layers so I can't adjust my temperature by adding or subtracting clothing or I brought a purse when I should have brought a messenger bag. Oh yes, it must be planned.

Speaking of planning, I received a new copy of Microsoft OneNote 2007 a few days ago and I installed it last night and am going to be using that to write my MASTER LIST OF THINGS I SHOULD DO. It's going to be a fun way to use my tablet pc. I can use it to plan this year's garden, too! I used a trial copy of 2003 to do that last year and...oooh, now I can access those old files if I want. Bonus!

Yesterday I received my confused herb plant from Puerto Rico. I think my postal carrier hates me. One of the part time ones now seems to be the full time guy and seriously...the old one was super nice but this guy will knock on my door to give me a package (which I guess is good albeit maybe the reason he seems to hate me...like maybe I got him in trouble before for not even attempting to make package deliveries) and then he'll just be REALLY FREAKING WEIRD when he says hello OR he won't even say hello at all, just scan my package and hand it to me like he'd rather die than do anything else. He can't possibly know I was accusing him of being a cross-dressing thief, can he??!?

The plant is FUZZY, which doesn't seem very herb-like to me, or at least it didn't until I remembered sage. Sage: the other fuzzy herb. Still don't know if I want to cook with this one. Oh heck I don't care, I just want it to live and grow and trade me oxygen for carbon dioxide. I wish I'd gotten more plants by now. I think I might plant some seeds today, some cilantro and maybe some more kinds of beans

I'm actually more okay the last few days about the time I spend in the kitchen juicing and smoothie-ing and other various activities and even cleaning up after the same since finishing Michael Pollan's In Defense of Food. He says we should eat FOOD. Food! That maybe sounds obvious but he means REAL food. It makes sense. If you go to the grocery store, most of the stuff there is NOT real food. It's just processed crap that has had all the nutrition removed from it to make it less perishable and less desirable to insects and rodents so it can be stored better.

And so, while we're eating real food, it also makes sense that food takes TIME. Time to make, time to eat and enjoy. Eating should be a sociable, pleasurable act and not an inconvenience made tolerable by drive-through windows.

So I am going to enjoy my food, and enjoy the preperation of my food. In fact, I've been thinking of making bento boxes. I even found a cool site to get started with making them and I ordered a box from eBay and have my eye on another in a different style from the site j-box. Not that bento requires a special bento box, one could simply use a plastic storage container or something. In fact, I might make one in just such a container while I wait for my kawaii bento.

My final thought for now is that not eating refined grains and sugars during the day has definitely had a major positive effect on my energy levels. I never want a nap in the afternoon or early evening, and my energy level is quite high in the afternoon and evening. Still need to work on the part where I channel that energy in a useful way.

It would help if I got up several hours earlier....

0 comments: