Friday, January 9, 2009

Energy day 8: Accidental Salad

Getting up earlier is not exactly going well. In fact, today I got up a little later than usual. I then felt groggy for several hours, but eventually perked up in time for the gym.

Ah yes, the gym...the only reason I got any exercise today, but at least I was there for a couple of hours, so that must be good, right?

After the gym we tried my pomegranate/orange smoothie and it wasn't bad. My bf brought me a bag from a taqueria or someplace the other day and told me it had burritos in it and I got all excited...yum, burritos! But when I looked inside I found it was pomegranates. Well, when life gives you pomegranates, I figure why not make a pomegranate smoothie? I'd seen a recipe for one the other day in the book "The Thrive Diet: The Whole Food Way To Lose Weight, Reduce Stress, and Stay Healthy For Life" and I was curious to try it since the recipe doesn't call for pomegranate juice, but whole seeds pulverized in the blender. I found it pretty tasty and may make it again although the pith of the seeds doesn't seem to get blended in and leaves some sediment on the bottom, and it's a bit futzy to de-seed a pomegranate. I wonder how pomegranate tastes with matcha...

So then we went to the wine bar because you know...it's Thursday and we were at the gym that's across the street from the wine bar anyway so whatcha gonna do? Usually this involves a few glasses of wine and some food, but they've kind of sort of changed their hours and technically weren't open any more when we went there, so food wasn't on the menu.

Finally we get to the title of this post...I'd said I was going to try and have salad every day this month, or at least have some leafy greens, but first I didn't have the ingredients and then I got salad ingredients yesterday but it just seems really hard to try and eat EVERY healthy food I'm trying to eat. It's too much food! I don't know WHEN I'm going to eat the brussel sprouts, cherries or chestnuts I have in the fridge right now. BUT, I did find myself making a salad at 11pm. Dang, salad is a lot of work. I surprised myself by actually chopping up vegetables and mixing up dressing at such a late hour. I wish I was in a salad co-op with a dozen people and each person could just make salad for 12 people once every 12 days. It wouldn't be much more work to make salad for 12 than for just one person so it would be totally worth it.

Of course, those 11 other people have to all want the same things in the salad that I want.

Okay scratch that...that would never work.

0 comments: