Monday, January 12, 2009

Energy Day 10 & 11: now we're cooking

Saturday I was still suffering from the problem of "okay, I have energy but I don't feel like doing anything with it". My bf was coming to pick me up at 8pm and I have this weird thing where if I have something to do later in the day, I'm not very good at getting stuff done earlier in the day with this event (whatever it is) hanging over my head. I did start listening to Michael Pollan's "In Defense of Food" on audiobook, and I'm pretty sure I was doing SOMETHING while listening but I don't remember what offhand. We had food from Coconut Bay for dinner, and they saved us some extra calories and grease by refusing to deep fry the rice paper spring rolls...so we just didn't get them and were perfectly happy (and stuffed) with the coconut rice, coconut curry vegetables and vegan pad thai.

Yesterday, after staying up too late and sleeping equally late, I at least started my day out with some grapefruit juice, which was great, and some hazelnut iced coffee, which is maybe not as good for one as a matcha smoothie but it's certainly tasty. Then we had our Sunday version of breakfast burritos, which can vary a little based on what's in the fridge but was homemade white whole wheat flour tortillas wrapped around refried beans (not sure why they're called "re" fried, since we only fry them once) with Soyrizo (soy version of chorizo) in them, avocado, tomato and chives. We used to use cheese but with avocado even soy cheese isn't really necessary, and we like them with cilantro but the chives were what we had and were a tasty touch.

The rest of the day consisted of cooking, cooking, and cooking. The last two hours of cooking I just really, really wanted to stop chopping vegetables and sit down, or lie down, and sleep or drink wine while in a semi vegetative state, half sitting, half lying down. But I kept going. And now I am thinking that totally counts as exercise, so at least I didn't sit on my butt all day. We made three kinds of energy bars from the Thrive book, two soups from vegan planet, and two kinds of cornbread from a book full of cornbread recipes. Half of what we made was pretty good, too. It was like a culinary bootcamp, the idea of which is not only to learn some new recipes but to hopefully provide my bf with some food to eat during the week so eating a plant based diet doesn't cause him to starve to death. After seeing how many sweet potato cornbread muffins with dates, walnuts and streusel topping he ate, I am totally not worrying about that right now.

0 comments: