Monday, October 20, 2008

2am Yoga and Tencel obsession

Since my bf enjoyed the yoga we did Friday, we decided to do it again. This time I brought over the Paul Grilley Yin Yoga dvd. We ate rather late and didn't want to do yoga right afterwards, so we watch an old italian (Fellini) film about an eternally optimistic prostitute searching for love.

When the movie was over, it was nearly 2am but we still did yoga anyway. The hardwood floors were killer on knees and tops of feet, but it was still a blast. For me the late hour seemed pretty normal, since I've been doing quite a lot of 2am yoga these last few weeks just to get it done and because I ate a little late or whatever. If I'm left to my own devices, I will go to bed about 2 or 3 am every night anyway. Or later. It's just so much easier for me to get work done late at night when things are quiet and it feels like I'm possibly the only person left on the planet. Works out great until I start trying to coordinate my schedule with other people's.

Last night I did yoga really late, too, but I had to do it sans-bf, since between baking experimental vegan cake and having his family over to eat experimental vegan cake, it got a little too late for him to stay up on a weeknight.

Here's a tip:
When you are buying fabric on eBay and the auction description says the fabric has a "nice drape", don't believe it! It's quite likely they don't know what they're talking about, maybe they saw it in another auction and it sounded good so they copied it, maybe they think it would "make nice drapes", maybe your idea of "nice drape" is completely different from theirs, maybe they're trying to tell you their carpet matches their drapes, or who KNOWS WHAT THE HELL is really going on in that sellers mind when the word "nice" shows up followed by "drape".
I've been faithfully trying to work towards having a halloween costume done before halloween. I spend quite a while looking for some fabric for the dress I'm making on eBay, after not finding fabric I wanted at JoAnn fabrics. When it arrived I was really disappointed in it. I'm thinking I really need to find something else. Yesterday I spent quite a long time in JoAnn fabrics since the correct cape pattern FINALLY arrived...actually now I have two of the correct pattern, since I ordered a backup just in case. So I was looking for fabric for my cape. They have the most gorgeous red velvet, but not only is it $25 a yard, I don't really think Little Red Riding Hood would wear red velvet. I mean, she's just a simple girl with a simple life, bringing some home baked goodies and maybe some whiskey to her grandmother's little cottage, and I think she'd wear a very nicely made red cape, but with a sort of homespun feel to it.

I wandered around the store looking at everything again and again until I finally noticed some red fabric in the red-tag sale section. I hadn't noticed it before I suppose because I was looking for a deeper red, but it was a tencel fabric with a lovely drape, a nice tactile feel and a subtle waffle weave, and I decided that perhaps this is what LRRH would wear. Then I had to wander around some more holding this fabric up to everything in the store to find something to line it with. I finally found a brown fabric with a bit of a reddish cast to it, which was also in the red-tag section and also made of tencel.

I love that tencel, and I'd love to maybe take the cape apart afterwards and make a dress (or two) out of it! The fabric might get cut in the wrong places for that I suppose...sigh. Today I'm going to go back to JoAnn and MAYBE...cross your fingers...find some tencel fabric in blue for the LRRH dress. That would be so awesome. And maybe see if they have any of it in ANY other colors. If not, I'm going to start stalking other JoAnn stores, even if they are full of rather cranky employees most of the time.

2 comments:

MsDarkstar said...

Guess I'm weird (but you knew that) because I would wear a LRRH cape after Halloween. I have 2 (maybe it's 3) capes that I just wear out and about. I once had a little boy on a bus ask his mother if I was a bad witch when I had my black cape on. (Mom looked absolutely mortified and hustled him off the bus... maybe she thought I really was a bad witch?!)

How was the experimental vegan cake? Experimental vegan bakers want to know!

Jinx.tv said...

Capes are cool...I would totally wear a cape when it's not halloween, but it just depends on the cape. Actually, JoAnn Fabrics is having a 99 cent sale on McCalls patterns right now and I got another cape pattern AND one to make more like, smaller poncho and coat-in-the-style-of-a-shawl type stuff.

The cake was good but could have baked a little longer. We used a recipe for chocolate cake from a book on wedding cakes by Collette Someone or Other who is famous for her cakes, but subbed Ener-G egg replacer for the eggs and we baked it in a 8 inch diameter pan that has three inch sides...twice as high as a normal pan. Basically, you are baking two layers in the same pan, then you have to cut them in half and frost inbetween. We also made these magicake strips where you put damp paper towel inside foil that you wrap and secure around the cake pan, which makes the outside cook slower so it won't overcook while the middle is still runny. We got paranoid because it was taking so long so we took it out. It was a little crummy and under-done but still tasty...we made buttercream using Earth Balance, which is awesome and tastes great, and I tinted it lavender. We were trying to carve the cake to round the top and bottom in preparation for giving it a layer of rolled fondant, but it wasn't quite sturdy enough.

We wanted to try tofu instead of the Ener-G stuff, but didn't want to enough to run to the store just for tofu.