Friday, October 3, 2008

Yoga challenge day 3

A few days ago, when I started doing this yoga challenge, I had to clear some space in my apartment to do it in. After I did that, it felt so nice and...I guess you could say "peaceful" and "rewarding" and "tranquil" to have done that, that I decided I should spend at least a bit of time doing that each day...even if the place I'm going to do yoga in is totally clear and the clearing and cleaning is taking place elsewhere in my apartment. It just feels so nice and liberating to do that. Yesterday I was mostly cleaning the kitchen before yoga, and afterwards when I was making dinner it was a real pleasure to work in such a clean/cleared kitchen!

After doing some cleaning today, I was looking for some other ways to delay yoga and getting rather hungry as it was getting a bit late in the day, and I thought "hey, I think I have all the ingredients to make baklava." I've never made baklava before, but my bf and I have been taking cooking classes from Colleen Patrick-Goudreau from Compassionate Cooks and one of the things we learned to make was baklava, and since I had some filo dough in my freezer from a REALLY LONG TIME ago, I was procrastinating on doing yoga, it seemed as good a time as any to finally try it.

The baklava came out pretty good considering I lost the recipe. We'd gotten it on a little handout, a sheet of paper that I promptly lost. I realized later, once it was in the oven, that the recipe is also in her "The Joy of Vegan Baking" book which I own so I could have followed it instead of just making it up, but my bf actually thought my on-the-fly version of baklava was better than Colleen's. Well, he would say that, wouldn't he?

Then I realized "crap, I better do some yoga or I'm going to run out of time". I started a DVD called "liquidASANA The Fluid Dance of Vinyasa Flow Yoga" by Micheline Berry and I had to stop it at 30 minutes to get ready to go out for dinner in Palo Alto, but it felt really good. I like this dvd, even if it does keep doing "downward dog" over and over and over...it's fun and smooth and she had me from the moment she promised I could stay "juicy" as I got older. This is a definite candidate for doing yoga with my bf on Sunday, although there are quite a few poses where your knee is pressing into the floor, and I found that a bit painful even though I am using a yoga mat over a carpeted floor, so with his hardwood floors we are really going to have to figure out some extra padding or I am going to scream (in agony!)

In other news, my AT&T rollover minutes have gotten pretty ridiculous. I think I'm going to be up over 500 minutes next time I'm billed. I'd like to drop my service level BUT then I wouldn't get the data plan any more. Argh!

0 comments: