Saturday, October 18, 2008

Too farty: a yoga tale

QUESTION: Why did the Irishman only put 239 beans in his bean soup?
ANSWER: (in best Irish brogue): Because he didn't want it to be too-farty.

Last night I did yoga with my bf and I remembered one of the reasons why I'm not eager to take an actual yoga class. I'm sure I'm going to be that person in class who keeps farting. Yeesh, it's just not right!

We had fun, though. First we tried to do Dynamic Partner Yoga, and I like the whole idea that we're doing yoga poses together and that there are ways to use that to get a better stretch, but it felt like we were doing speed yoga and we're noobs that don't even know the poses so we were really lost and eventually collapsed on the floor laughing and then changed the dvd to Micheline Berry's Liquid Asana Vinyasa Flow Yoga: Beginners Flow.

I'd done this one before but had to stop after 20 minutes or so due to some time constraints so I wasn't sure what to expect of the whole thing. It's the one that "had me at juicy" a few weeks ago. Well, we ended up having a lot of fun and really enjoyed this one. We did give up at one point, but when Micheline moved on to the next section we decided to start up again and ended up finishing the dvd. My bf really enjoyed it and said he felt great (albeit hungry) afterward, so we're for sure going to do yoga together again (tonight!) but I realized that the Yin yoga I've been doing is really great not just because it stretches your connective tissue but because of all the great info Paul Grilley gives wrt the different ways one might hold a pose depending on body type and where you are supposed to be feeling it...or even the different places you may CHOOSE to feel it depending on your goal at the time. Since you are holding a pose as long as five minutes and he's giving you info pretty much that whole time (although you can also play the dvd with most of the commentary turned off) you really end up learning a lot, and even when you are doing more Yang poses at some other time, it helps you think about feeling your muscles and joints and be more aware of your body. Also, there are a few areas (mostly spine and sacrum) I think my bf really needs to stretch out to help him with some poses (although in other areas, for a guy...especially one that's never done yoga...he's pretty flexible.)

So tonight, even if it's at 1am (because of having company over), we are going to be doing some yin yoga. It's great that my bf is into it because it makes it much easier to find the time to do it knowing he'll do it with me if I'm at his place. It's also relief to know it's fun to do it together. Probably a silly thing for me to ever have worried about anyway.

I was so encouraged by our co-ed yoga that I even ordered "Yoga in Bed" from Amazon today. Not sure if two people can do yoga in bed at the same time, but it was only five bucks and I figured it would be fun to try!

Pooooot.....poot!

0 comments: