Monday, October 6, 2008

Yin Yoga Weekend

Too bad my dedication to posting in my blog every day this month isn't as good as my dedication to doing yoga each day. It's not likely to happen when I'm at my bf's house, though. What am I supposed to do, say "Baby, I can't spend quality time with you right now because I'm too busy posting in my blog about how we aren't spending quality time together because I'm too busy posting in my blog"?

Wait, did that make sense?

Well anyway, I rolled out of bed on Saturday and dragged my sorry ass to the farmer's market just in the nick of time. I love to argue with myself about how it would be sooo much better to stay in bed and then go to Whole Food's or Sigona's later, but the rational line of thinking is that the farmer's market is actually closer and there are loads of good reasons to choose getting your food there, and plus I'm not actually getting out of going somewhere by simply procrastinating about it, I mean...I still have to buy food. It just would have been better if I hadn't had a little too much wine the night before and/or stayed up way past any normal person's bedtime.

After that, I didn't really feel like doing any yoga but lucky for me I had a copy of "Yin Yoga: The foundations of a quiet practice", which is a two dvd set. Disk one is a two hour lecture about body meridians and yin yoga and football players and corpses, and I figured I really should watch the lecture first before doing the practice on disk two, so it gave me a good excuse to sit there for two hours eating raspberries and picking all the seeds out of a pomegranate. It's too bad it would be hard to peel/eat one in the dark because that would be awesome to do in a movie theater instead of having popcorn.

Finally I got to the Yin yoga practice and I really enjoyed it. Depending on what you think my goals are for doing yoga, you might think I was kind of cheating. Yin yoga involves taking a pose that stretches your connective tissue and hold it for five minutes or more. So that's what I did for 70 minutes. Actually, it can seem a bit tortuous about halfway through a pose but overall I really love it and it's yet another thing that is way better than those so-called ballet stretch dvds. The only thing is, I can't just do yin yoga forever because you need to balance it with yang yoga (which is basically almost any other form of yoga.)

So then Sunday I was at my bf's house and we have (unopened) yoga mats there and I brought the dvd I thought would be good to do together and we had a list of things to do that went something like this...

1. Plan and practice making cake (for halloween/birthday party - we want to make something vegan but we also want it to be really nice.)
2. Work in garden
3. Watch "Mondovino" (maybe)
4. Something else I think I forgot
5. Do yoga

But it ended up being more like...

1. Stay in bed having coffee until 1pm and planning cake
2. Work in garden
3. Watch HBO (we seem to have become addicted to "Little Britain USA" and "The Life & Times of Tim")

So yoga kind of fell by the wayside. It was actually rather tiring working in the garden, or maybe I was just dehydrated. We cut down one of the stevia plants, but we left the other one because it was covered with bees and bees are scary mofos we want to encourage them to stick around and pollinate stuff. We also picked more tomatoes including FINALLY one from the plant that I guess is the "Hugh's". You can see it above in the lower left corner, and behind the basket you can see the carrots and radishes that we were trying to sprout under newspaper. It worked! I mean...they sprouted under there but I guess we left the newspaper down too long and the poor things, I don't know what they're going to do. I can be a bit of a control freak and I find it stressful to be so far away from the garden so much of the week...I don't know what's happening and I have no control over it.

We also planted our garlic and shallots and the tigger melon that I sprouted at home under grow-lights (hey, at least I have total control over the first several weeks of the lives of the plants I start at home) and transplanted the basil that had been so ready to leave its pot that it had sent a crapload of roots out through the drainage holes and rooted itself to the ground. We tried to cut the pot away but in the end had to cut those roots away...hopefully it will be okay. We also found that our Nasturtium has completely disappeared. It used to be a huge plant in a big pot and now there is just a mostly-empty pot with a few straggly weeds in it. WTH? One of our self-watering planters was totally flooded, too...it looked like hurricane Katrina hit it or something...I think we are going to have to be more careful with putting some extra drainage holes on the sides of any self-watering containers as well as maybe doing all our own watering.

Oh, and we have been planning our halloween costumes. Last year after being the devil, my bf said "next year I want to be a bumble bee ala John Belushi", and in my mind since then I've been thinking how to do that and figuring I'd probably be a bumble bee, too, and it would be kind of funny to be two plump, plush bumblebees waddling around together. However, it seems during that same time my bf has slowly been changing his mind about what would be a good costume and now he wants to be the Big Bad Wolf and have me be Little Red Riding Hood. I never thought I would be shopping for a nightgown and nightcap for my bf!

So now I'm planning my Little Red Riding Hood costume. I think we may have a bit of a disconnect though, and his idea of LRRH is something like this...

While I'm picturing something more like this...


So, ultimately, we just never got around to doing any yoga. I have only myself to blame because I'm pretty sure if I'd said "let's do some yoga now! Even if it's just for 30 minutes!!!" That we would have done some yoga. Or at the very least, I could have done it on my own while my bf was cleaning the kitchen (heheh...)

But guess what????!? I DID do yoga on Sunday! Okay, technically it was Monday because I did it after I got back to my place and it was about 1am, but since I hadn't gone to bed yet it still counts as Sunday. Ha...I bet you were thinking I didn't do it, weren't you??? I did yin yoga again, since the Paul Grilley dvd has several different practices on it. I like the dvd so much that afterwards I ordered another one by the same dude.

3 comments:

MsDarkstar said...

I want to order the Megayoga book by Megan Garcia but am making myself wait until I am employed. (Which, ummm, will mean I'll be too busy for yoga... it sounded like a good plan when I originally made it...)

Jinx.tv said...

I know what you need! http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=yoga&emb=0&aq=f#q=yoga&emb=1&dur=3

I'm planning to try some stuff from there later in the month myself, as well as checking out what the library and Netflix have...I'm hoping Netflix has some stuff I can view right online without having it mailed to me.

MsDarkstar said...

Netflix does have the Megan Garcia video I want, but alas, not in "insty view" format.

BTW, nice looking tomatoes and I love the disparity in you and your BF's "Little Red Riding Hood" scenarios. LOL