Sunday, October 12, 2008

Femur rotation and cat puke pose

Well, I'm doing my yoga every day, even if it's at 3am. I'm finding it very addicting as long as I enjoy the DVD I'm using.

A while back (like ten months ago) I purchased a bunch of back issues of Yoga Journal on eBay...that's a great way to immerse yourself in a topic without spending a lot of money. Something happened where I guess the post office never notified me I had a package (yeah right, like I wasn't home when they supposedly tried to deliver it in the first place) and since I didn't get the notification, I never picked the package up and it ended up being sent all the way back to New York where it came from. The guy on eBay emailed me about it, and I had totally forgotten I'd purchased them. He was so nice and paid for the shipping a second time...he didn't charge me for shipping! That was very cool.

So yeah, I got the magazines finally about two months after I purchased them and then they sat around until this month when I decided to do yoga every day. They actually have some very interesting articles and moves and stretches you can do to try and correct different problems...even pose modifications that are supposed to help with scoliosis, either lessening it or at least preventing it from getting worse and/or painful as you grow older. The ads are great too...I love reading the ads in the back of magazines. These ads aren't funny like, say, the ones in Men's Health, but it's interesting to see what people are selling wrt a particular subject.

Today I was watching a DVD called "Anatomy for Yoga" and it's really interesting. And now I understand something better...

When my bf and I go to the gym and we are doing squats, my bf, once he gets warmed up in his first few sets, will be squatting almost all the way to the floor...his butt will only be about an inch from the floor at the bottom of the movement. When *I* do the squats, I can't go down NEARLY as far. But he'll tell me "try to squat lower". I try but...I just can't, and it makes me feel wimpy and inflexible. Now, watching this dvd and seeing how the different bones meet each other in different places, I am pretty sure my "problem" is simply a matter of where my femur meets my pelvis during rotation. BUT this doesn't mean I can never squat down until MY butt almost touches the floor...I probably just need to put a 2x4 under my heels or something. We haven't been going to the gym together much lately, but now I'm kind of looking forward to trying that. I have a body bar at home, maybe I'll just try doing squats with that and a 2x4 and just see what happens.

And in other news...I woke up verrrrry early this morning to the sound of Rodney puking on my yoga mat. I suppose I should have put it away, but can't he pick somewhere...ANYWHERE else to do that? I mean really.

I was lucky it was Rodney, though...when my other cat, China, throws up, it always seems to catch her by surprise (what's this spewing forth from my mouth? ¡que extraño!) and she ends up throwing up wherever she is, whether right over her food or water dish, or on my ankles/blankets in the middle of the night.

2 comments:

MsDarkstar said...

I actually read somewhere just a couple of days ago that squatting any lower than thighs parallel to the floor may cause knee and hamstring injuries.

I suppose if you used the 2x4, that might actually prevent the aforementioned injuries.

And, yeah... cats seem to puke in the most inconvenient places...

Jinx.tv said...

Well, it just depends...you don't want to pull a muscle or injure your connective tissue, BUT once those are loose enough, you can go until bone is stopped by bone.

R. can drop down with a crazy amount of weight and push himself up again and he's been doing it for a bazillion years (okay, maybe not a bazillion years otherwise that would mean he's like, 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,014 years old, and even though he's about to get a year older, he's not THAT old...) and no injuries ever, he's just built that way.

Me, I can squat all the way down IF my heels are lifted, no problem, but of course it's probably a bad idea to be squatting with a bunch of weight and lifting your heels off the ground at the same time (sans 2x4).