Thursday, September 27, 2007

Want to know a secret?

Want to know a secret? Today I feel like telling you why I stopped developing stuff for There for a while.

It's partly because I was doing stuff for IMVU, partly the frustration with pricing (the pricing on some items just doesn't make sense, like for lamps) and partly because currency sales was taking up a lot of my time, but MOSTLY it was because I felt like a failure.

It started with the Wild West event. I had planned to make quite a few items for it, in fact when they were planning it I was like "ooh, oooh...I'll make this and that and I can make that other thing, too!" It's like I didn't want ANYONE else to make anything. I would have liked to make the entire Wild West all by myself.

I think I should be forgiven for this a little bit as I think it's natural for There Developers to be somewhat solitary, and the more people are working on stuff together the more they have to cooperate, which is not only hard, it takes time away from developing. My goodness, you should have seen Meret with his Christmas village. Not only did he want to do most everything himself, he wanted to enforce a huge number of aesthetic and other guidelines on developers, who were acting like cats trying to be herded, myself included. In the end, I didn't end up doing anything for that project, but my point is that developers are just like that. They generally want to be in control and they want to do what they want to do and they don't always play well with others, myself included.

I did do quite a few items for the Wild West. I made decks and buildings which I think were the first 40 meter dev items in-world, I made a water tower with couches for supports, a bunch of signs, benches, jail cells, a wild west bar which I believe had the first varied-level seating on it (one of the seats is ON the top of the bar, it wouldn't be weird at all now, but at the time it pretty much had to be snuck in) and a bunch of other stuff...I think I'm most proud of the staircase, which took quite a long time and is available actually attached to a second story floor, and I think without the floor as well. I also made a bunch of tombstones and some coffin seating groups for the Undertakers.

Despite all the items I DID make, I failed because of all the stuff I DIDN'T make, because I didn't allow enough time, I bit off more than I could chew, etc. There was supposed to be a whole general store and the only thing I ever got done for that was a catalog and a bench that had the catalog built into it. It was really discouraging...I don't know that anyone even noticed there was stuff "missing", but *I* sure did.

Then, I hadn't made anything for There for a while because of IMVU but I wanted to spend some time on There stuff again so I was going to enter this virtual world contest that was something about public spaces. I totally didn't allow enough time for this. This is my "Parkway" stuff. I didn't get all the pieces I wanted done with it, OR the matching website that was supposed to go along with it, and when nearing the deadline for entries I was frantically trying to put the pieces I DID have together. Argh...I am one of the worst in-world builders and I just couldn't get it together quite right plus some of the collision meshes weren't working the way I wanted. Basically, it simply wasn't done. I was really upset about this.

Then finally, I had a folder on one computer that held most of my There stuff and the folders starting with A, B and C just went missing. Poof, gone. This included a TON of builder items. Most of my builder items, actually. I thought maybe I had burned them onto DVD or CD to make room on my hard drive, but I searched everywhere and couldn't find those files. It was very strange and made me pretty paranoid AND very discouraged.

So there you go...that is why I stopped developing for There. But, today I am going to see if I can export a builder item from 3ds max...something that never worked for me on my old computers (I've made all my There stuff in Gmax.) It seems like TheChaz has done a good job of packing up the exporters to properly install, so I'm quite hopeful it will work. I just want to have some FUN making stuff, y'know?

Then later...maybe I will have some more secrets for you.

4 comments:

Leybt said...

Hi,Well i sure hope you come back with some really cool designs.I would buy your things.I already have your bench that has the catalog built into it and the wild west bench they are in my lighthouse and look awesome.I hope you don't get mad at me but i also have your wild west roof but i turned it around and used it as a deck behind my house.It seemed to be the best looking.It looks so good i love it! Hey if your ever board stop over to FORBIDDEN PARADISE and take a look.I would love to say HI! Have a WONDERFUL day!
MsTami

Jinx.tv said...

Oh, how did I miss this comment before???? Of course I'm not mad you used the roof as a deck...not sure how that works, but I'd love to check it out sometime to find out...or feel free to send/post a pic of what you did.

It would be sooo boring if everyone used everything only the way it was originally intended.

Unknown said...

I've always been curious why all Wild West items existed. Very cool stuff, but not many people in game now a days seem to know about their history.

I've never met/seen you in game, but I've always been a huge fan of your items. The detail and creativity is second to none, and the little extras are great (like the built in lift on your elevated platform).

I'm sure lots of people would be thrilled if you started developing for There again. There is in need of some new themes. :-)

P.S. Your Tbux service is great!

Jinx.tv said...

Thanks for your kind words. I mean to submit new items to There but I seem to keep getting distracted, plus it's a bit discouraging developing for There after making stuff for IMVU, because it's so expensive to submit and you can't let people derive from your items, etc. but I will probably make some new furniture anyway.