Thursday, May 17, 2007

Happy Solar-powered Mother's Day

Last Sunday was Mother's Day, at least here in the U.S., and while many people probably gave their mom flowers and/or took her out for Sunday Brunch, I got my mom a Solio Universal Hybrid Solar Charger.
The Solio is soooo cool. You fan out the petals in the sun, and charge it up...something like 8-10 hours later it has enough juice to charge up two devices, like your camera and your cell phone or your ipod and your blackberry. Not only great if you are off hiking somewhere, but it also holds a charge for a year so you could store it for emergencies (you can still listen to and recharge your iPod if there is a blackout!) And just think of the electricity you are saving. Just don't forget to unplug your now-uneeded and old-fashioned charger from the wall, as they use electricity even when they aren't charging anything. I got it for her because I wanted one myself and I thought I'd live vicariously through her until I actually do get my own. AND, I think she'll actually use it...you know, my mom recycles and doesn't leave the water running, drives a Prius and goes hiking, etc.

I'm cuckoo for solar powered anything. I don't have a Solio yet, but I have solar powered x-mas lights (which you can find on eBay) - and they might be a bit hard to use on an indoor tree, but they work great out on a balcony...even if you don't have full-sun and even on cloudy days. That sun is powerful stuff, man!

0 comments: